Every bride dreams of looking her best on the special day. The wedding dress/gown plays an important role in this aspect, and hence preserving the special dress also helps keep special moments and memories intact. In order to preserve wedding gowns pristinely, here are a few things every bride should know about and pay attention to.
1. The wedding gown, before it gets tucked away in a box or storage bag, needs to be cleaned and made free of stains or marks from food, drink, and décor. This helps the garment stay pristine for a longer time and protects it from infestation by insects.
2. Garment storage bags or wedding dress storage bags have the advantage that they let you store your dress in an unfolded manner. This, however causes stress on the seams, especially on heavier gowns, thereby causing loss of shape or opening of the seams, when hung for long periods of time. Garment storage boxes keep your wedding gown stress free, but needs it to be folded for storage. Also, it takes up more space than a storage bag.
3. Gowns and dresses worn on your special day need to be packed in acid free material to prevent the garment from yellowing. Be it cardboard or tissue paper, the white colored material is advisable as it prevents the dress from forming stains or colored spots.
4. Breathability of the packaging material is equally important in wedding dress preservation. While plastics keep your gowns waterproof, they are not breathable, and often cause moisture to accumulate on the inside, in turn causing mildew growth. Cotton muslin or non-woven polypropylene bags are advisable for preserving your special dress.
5. Wedding dresses need protection from sunlight, moisture, mildew, and insect attack. Ensure that the box or bag is sealed properly and well enough to keep the garment away from these factors that cause damage to it.
6. The location for storage of your wedding dress is as important as any other factor mentioned above. While the attic may be a good choice in terms of space available, it is definitely a bad choice if you truly wish to preserve your special dress. Attics run a chance of being affected badly when hit by rain or storm. Select a cupboard or a drawer that is good enough to keep away sunlight, and yet provides breathability.
7. Preservation of your gown does not end with storing it in a box or bag. On the contrary, frequent maintenance, i.e., opening up the package once in a couple of months and exposing the garment to some fresh air is a good practice. Also, refolding it, in a different manner ensures that permanent creases do not form on the garment. Changing packaging material like tissue also ensures effective protection and preservation of your special gown.
Wedding dresses and gowns can be made to last forever with a little care, and by paying attention to the above mentioned tips.
Preservall, manufacturer and retailer of preservation and storage bags offering long term chemical free protection of treasured garments, wedding dress, fabrics, collectibles, guns, hunting & camping equipment, etc. against moisture, dust, insects, mold, dirt and corrosion.